Academics as soldiers ?
Welcome desk 13.30 - 14.00
Part 1: 14.00 – 15.30
Jacques WILLEMS (chair of the University Foundation)
Introduction and Chair of the first part
Bart PATTYN (coordinator of the Ethical Forum 2019)
- Erno VANDEWEERT (Policy Officer Defence Research, European Commission) The European Defence Fund: EU funding for defence research and development.
- Jo COELMONT Brigadegeneraal (Ret) (Voormalig Permanente Militaire vertegenwoordiger voor België bij de EU, Senior Research Fellow at Egmont - The Royal Institute for International Relations, Senior Fellow at the Royal Higher Institute for Defence) Maintaining peace and acquiring knowledge: two sides of the same coin.
- Quentin MICHEL (Unité d’Etudes Européennes, Faculté de droit et de science politique de l’Université de Liège) May EU Universities contribute to defense related research : when principles confront financial necessity.
Short interventions from the floor
Part 2: 16.00 – 18.00
Panel discussion chaired by Dominique WILLEMS
- Christophe WASINSKI (Faculté de Philosophie et Sciences sociales, Département de science politique, Center REPI - recherche en politiques internationales, ULB)
- Johan DE TAVERNIER (Faculteit Godgeleerdheid, KU Leuven, chair VLIR working group "Dual Use")
- Federico SANTOPINTO (analyst at GRIP - Groupe de recherche sur la paix et la sécurité - specialized on EU integration and external and defence policies)
- Frédéric MAURO (former French civil servant in Foreign Affairs, specialist on European defence, research associate IRIS)
- Bart PATTYN (Institute of Philosophy, KU Leuven, coordinator Ethical Forum 2019)
Concluding remarks by Philippe VAN PARIJS
Participation is free of charge, but registration is requested. To register please click the "REGISTRATION" button above.
The available presentations and a number of interesting relevant background documents can be found in the "DOWNLOADS 2019" section of this website. Documents will be added as they become available.
At the end of the first part a (limited) number of participants will be invited to present short interventions. Participants who are interested to do so, are invited to indicate this on the registration form (or to send an email) with a short sketch of their discussion item.